This is the old me and the new me.
I lost more than 40 lbs. If you want to know how, ask me.
"Doing the same things and expecting different results...." Not going to happen.
Make it happen. Now.
(With Washington Capitals players Matt Hendricks and John Carlson, and CSN TV Analyst Jill Sorensen)
And another before picture...
You get one life. How do you want to live it?
When I pictured my retirement life, I saw myself as lean, fit, healthy, and active. But when I looked at my current self, that wasn't me. How could I get to what I wanted to be? I had tried different diets, and was a little successful. But never did I get the results I wanted. I believe that no single plan is perfect for everyone. What works for one person may not work for another.
For me, the plan I finally found, WORKED! Today I am at my goal weight after losing 45 lbs. I am down over 50 lbs from my highest ever weight.
But this is NOT about weight loss. It is about optimal health.
- I FEEL better.
- I am more active - some by choice and some just because I WANT to be more active. It's more fun now to be active.
- I am enjoying playing hockey even more.
- I feel more positive.
- Old aches and pains and other health and weight related issues have become lesser or non-issues.
So what did I do? I worked with a health coach and went on a special eating plan. And along the way, I learned some things:
- Achieving and maintaining are daily decisions.
- Caloric intake must be lower than energy output in order to lose weight and must be roughly equal in order to not gain.
- There is a difference between cravings and actual hunger.
- The process of getting healthy is not a temporary thing you do until you are "ideal weight" and then you're done.
- If I have a day that I "mess up" that doesn't mean it's all over. I get to start over with a blank slate tomorrow.
Some of my concrete learnings/processes:
- Eating small meals every few hours helps me not get over-hungry and then eat more in a single meal than I should.
- Drink a lot of water. And flavor it with flavor infusers so you feel like you are drinking more substance and get flavor.
- A walk every day or every other day IS very beneficial. I used to think it didn't make a difference, it only burned the equivalent of a slice of bread. But it's so much more than that.
- Eat more veggies.
- I can live without eating that many sweets! Sugars are some of the worst things we overeat. And I love cookies. And ice cream. And cake. I asked myself: "What do I want most?"
I followed a specific program and plan to get back my health. I worked with a (free) health coach who helped me. Life is not perfect, but it sure is sweeter now than it was. If you would like to know more about how you can improve your health and lose weight, email me and I would be happy to share more information with you.